Creme Egg Double Chocolate Muffins
A yummy Easter treat: Creme Egg Double Chocolate Muffins.
Last week Neil and I went to Scotland for a couple of days to visit my Sister and Brother-in-law. It was the first time in years that we got to go over, so we were very excited to see their new house and celebrate my Brother-in-law’s special birthday. Walking around Glasgow, the streets appeared familiar yet different; new shops had opened and some places we liked are sadly now closed. This story is a bit like the Cadbury’s Creme Egg; the recipe has changed, but somehow it’s still the same old familiar egg we recognise from past Easters as kids. Back then, I had a super sweet tooth like most kids, and had quite the collection of Disney stickers stuck on my school books from trips to the Dentist!
Over the years I fell out of love with the Creme Egg, but having seen so many fabulous recipes including them, the kid in me couldn’t resist trying some of them out. I was not sure what to expect, but surprisingly I discovered I loved the taste of the Creme Egg in bakes. The sweetness of the gooey egg paired with other flavours, resulted in a balance even my grown up palate can appreciate.
I love muffins, so to say I haven’t blogged nearly enough recipes is an understatement. I had so much fun testing these out, I mean really you can’t go too wrong with chocolate muffins. These are topped with caramelised pistachios, but if you don’t have any on hand they are just as tasty without.
- 240g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 50g chocolate chips
- 25g good quality cocoa powder
- 1 free range egg
- 200g milk
- 100g sunflower oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 115g brown sugar
- 12 frozen mini creme eggs (2 packets)
- 50g pistachio nuts (in shell)
- 1 tsp sunflower oil
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Grease a 12 hole muffin tin with butter
- In a mixing bowl, add the flour, salt, chocolate chips and cocoa powder. Mix together.
- In another mixing bowl, add the egg, milk, oil, vanilla extract and sugar. Mix untli well combined.
- Next prepare the topping by taking the nuts out from their shells and in bowl roughly crush them with a pestle and mortar. Add the oil and maple syrup and give it a good mix. Set aside.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Fold together slowly, we careful not to overmix. The mixture should be lumpy.
- Preheat your oven to 190c/170c fan and take your mini Creme Eggs out from the freezer.
- Scoop 1 spoonful of the mixture into each muffin hole and then add 1 creme egg in the centre. Scoop another spoonful of mixture on top, making sure the creme egg is fully covered.
- Once finished, sprinkle the nuts on top of each muffin.
- Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes. Check they are done by pressing down your thumb gently on them. If they spring back, they're ready. If there is a delay/indent bake for a few minutes longer and check again.
- When adding the dry ingredients to the wet, be careful not to overmix them as this will increase the gluten and make the muffins dry and tough.
- Freeze the mini Creme Eggs a couple of hours beforehand or overnight.
- You can use caster sugar if you don't have brown sugar on hand.
- Muffins are at there best eaten on the day but can be stored in an airtight container for a couple of days.
Entering into the We Should Cocoa linkup hosted this month by Lancashire Food and run by Tin and Thyme.
Check out these other wonderful Creme Egg recipes:
Cadbury Creme Egg Pancakes – Foodie Quine
Creme Egg Chocolate Brownies – Fab Food 4 All
Creme Egg Buns – Tin And Thyme
Totally Addictive Creme Egg Brownies – Supergolden Bakes
Creme Egg Meringue Nests – Emily’s Recipes and Reviews
Baked Nutella & Cadbury Creme Egg Doughnuts – Recipes From A Pantry
Creme Egg Peanut Butter and Nutella Cake – Recipes From A Pantry
Cadburys Creme Egg Ice Cream Sundae – The Hedge Combers
Creme Egg Caramel Pavlova – Little Sunny Kitchen
Creme Egg Bundt Cake – Supper in the Suburbs
Cadbury Creme Egg Ice Cream Cake – Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary
- Easy Creme Egg Cookies - crispy & chewy! Fab Food 4 All - […] Cadbury Creme Egg Pancakes – Foodie Quine Cadbury Creme Egg Shake – Fuss Free Flavours Creme Egg Double Chocolate…
- 22 Easter Themed Baked Treats - Made From Pinterest - […] Creme Egg Double Chocolate Muffins from From Plate to Pen […]
- Creme Egg Chocolate Fudge - Fab Food 4 All - […] Buns – Tin & Thyme Creme Egg Stuffed Chocolate Cookies – Munchies & Munchkins Creme Egg Double Chocolate Muffins…
- Easter Treats & #CookBlogShare March 22-28 – Snap Happy Bakes - […] Creme Egg Double Choc Muffins from From Plate To Pen […]