Butterbean and Chickpea Stew
This hearty butterbean and chickpea stew reminds me of the vegetable soup that my mum used to make when I was little. At the time I was the fussiest eater in the world and drove my parents completely insane! I used to eat a round of bread with no butter and that was it! Mum’s vegetable soup however was something I could eat and enjoy without causing too much of a drama (picked out all the parsnip, which I loathed back then). I loved the butter beans and sopping up all the broth with my (dry) piece of bread was comfort food at its best.
Well, how times have changed! No longer a fussy eater (thank goodness!) and parsnips I now love!
- 600g potatoes, scrubbed, peeled and chopped into cubes
- 3 medium sized carrots, sliced
- 2 medium sized parsnips, sliced
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 900ml vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- pinch of basil
- pinch of salt and black pepper
- 1 tin butterbeans, drained
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- Place your potatoes, carrots, parsnips, leek and onion into a large saucepan with vegetable stock. Bring to the boil and then turn down the heat to a simmer. Add the Worcestershire sauce, garlic, a pinch of basil, along with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and simmer until the vegetables have softened (around 40-45 minutes).
- When the vegetables have softened, check the seasoning and add more if necessary. Then add the butterbeans and chickpeas and simmer uncovered for a further 5 minutes.
- Serve with some crusty bread on the side.
FOR MORE VEGETARIAN INSPIRATION:
Smokey Sweet Potato and Mixed Bean Stew – Recipes and Reviews
Hearty Chickpea and Sweet Potato Stew – Tinned Tomatoes
Borlotti Bean Minestrone Hotpot – The Veg Space
Jerk Sweet Potato Stew – Rough Measures
Carrot and Butterbean Tagine – Family-Friends-Food
- Chickpea and Vegetable Curry | Andrew in the Kitchen - […] From Plate to Pen’s Butterbean and Chickpea Stew […]