Cheese, Chicken and Broccoli Chowder Ft Barber’s 1833 Vintage Reserve Cheddar
|© Image Barber’s 1833|
|Read full disclaimer|
When I was given the opportunity to develop a recipe for Barber’s 1833, a British cheese brand steeped in tradition, I couldn’t let the chance pass me by. Cheese is one of those items that always makes it onto my shopping list, so I’m really excited to talk about this brand and reveal my recipe.
With technology always changing, the old traditional methods of cheesemaking are sadly disappearing. Barber’s 1833 made it their mission to remain true to their historical methods, and so in the 1990’s built a laboratory to preserve their starter cultures. The friendly bacteria that’s added to the milk from these starter cultures are what create the flavour for the finished product, thus producing a cheese of high quality and unique flavour. They are, as proudly stated on their website, the only brand that sticks to this method for block cheddar.
“IT ONLY LEAVES WHEN IT’S READY”
You might pay a little more than you would for standard cheese but when you take into account the sheer quality, the knowledge of where it’s come from and the fact you are supporting a local brand…it more than makes up for it. This cheese tastes delicious and is a brand I thoroughly recommend.You can purchase Barber’s 1833 cheese via their website, Sainsbury’s, Waitrose or any good farm shop.
- 70g bread, cut into cubes
- 4 tbs olive oil
- large pinch of salt
- For the chowder
- 500ml chicken stock
- 450g potatoes, diced
- 1 small leek, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 340g sweetcorn
- 1/2 head of broccoli, chopped
- 4 tbsp butter
- 40g plain flour
- large pinch of salt and pepper
- 400ml whole milk
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 150g Barber's 1833 vintage reserve cheddar, grated
- strips of cooked chicken (from two chicken breasts)
- Preheat your oven to 180c
- Put the bread cubes in a mixing bowl along with the olive oil, grated cheese and salt.
- Using your hands toss to evenly coat and spread out on a baking tray.
- Bake for 8 - 10 minutes (or until they are crisp and browned), shaking occasionally. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan combine the chicken stock, diced potatoes, leek and onion. Bring to the boil and reduce the heat, cover and simmer. When the potatoes are tender, add the sweetcorn and broccoli. Simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- In another saucepan, melt the butter and then slowly add in the flour, salt and pepper. Stir with a whisk until smooth. Cook for 1 minute. Pour in the milk, stirring all the time until it has thickened. Stir in the soy sauce and grated cheese. Keep stirring until the cheese has melted. Finally, fold in the chicken and store until it's evenly coated in the sauce.
- Combine the chicken and cheese sauce with the chicken stock and vegetables. Stir to blend together.
- Serve immediately with the cheese croutons sprinkled on top.