Chicken, celery and potato soup
I may be pinning Spring related products on Pinterest and thinking about colourful fresh salads, but the reality is it’s still cold here in NI and comforting soups are very much on top of my agenda. Today’s recipe is for a creamy potato, celery and chicken soup. It is said that Chicken is good at warding off the common cold and as for potatoes…well I could eat potatoes with everything! So if it’s still freezing in March where you are, or you have the sniffles – get making this soup!
- 750g potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 sticks celery, chopped
- 50g butter
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 225g chicken, cooked and finely chopped
- salt and pepper to season
- parsley, chopped for garnish
- In a large saucepan fry the potatoes, onion and celery in the butter for 5 - 8 minutes until softened.
- Pour in the stock and add the seasoning. Bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender to liquidise the soup.
- Return to the saucepan and stir in the chicken. Add more seasoning if need be and bring to the boil.
- Serve garnished with chopped parsley and some crusty bread.